Wednesday, April 29, 2009

90s Ballads

Michael Al-Kudari of some unimportant town near the Amnityville murder house in New York writes:
Can you please make a posting of the top 50 songs of the 90s?

Why not?

1. Criminal by Fiona Apple
Three cheers for the power female vocals of the 1990s. Criminal is a great song with a story of sorts, only made better by Fiona's STUNNING voice. It's really fun to sing/karaoke (a trend amongst my favorite songs).

2. Only In Dreams by Weezer
I adore this song in its entirety: the guitar, the bass, the vocals and lyrics, the instrumental solo parts, the EVERYTHING. Weezer is so underrated. And Island in the Sun is DEFINITELY NOT their best song.
Honorable Mention: Say It Ain't So by Weezer

3. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
THE ORIGINAL EMO. This angry love song is timeless. I think it will forever be an icon of the bitter, dumped, betrayed girlfriend.
HONORABLE MENTION: The entire Jagged Little Pill album for that matter has a bunch of best 90s songs.

4. Around the World by Daft Punk
DIDN'T KNOW THIS CAME OUT IN THE 90S DID YOU? Anyway, what good is any music list without Daft Punk.

5. When I Dip You Dip We Dip by Freak Nasty
It was inevitable to NOT hear this song at any dance you attended from the mid-late 90s. And I won't really argue with that because I love this song. The "dance," which involved you and a dance partner alternating dips as per the lyrics, made this song so much better. Corny/awesome as hell when I listen the lyrics now though.
"It’s off to the show in the limo
before the show gotta get that dough
pay them girls what they worth,
slip that money under that skirt
take it off baby let me see
you might get a little more loot chi-chi
string-havin' that's so much fun
playin’ that side, between them buns
shawty got goin' it on like moms
teasin’ me and she know I’m starvin'
lick you up then lick you down
but I ain’t finished girl turn around!
Lick you up and down your back cause
I’m that freak I’m freaky like that
Freak Nasty wanna see can y’all do this
right like me "

7. All For You by Sister Hazel
Really, I think male vocals peaked during the 90s. Singers these days are kind of……unstable (eg. P!ATD, Franz Ferdinand…). God I love this song.

8. What is Love by Haddaway
I can't be sure seeing as I never attended a club or rave during the 90s but I can only hope this is the music they played at clubs. I'm sure it was probably not this and only hardcore techno, but a nightclub that played these 90s electro jams would be so BOSS.

9. Back That Azz Up by Juvenile
This is one of the first (if not, THE first) mainstream success by the Cash Money Millionaires. And I THINK it's one of the best songs ever written (read: exaggeration). But really, there's something special about the lyrics in this song. I feel especially accomplished when I know every word and other people don't. Please note the spelling of "azz" in this song. It is IN FACT the correct spelling (read: lie). And also, this song has some of Lil Wayne's best work if I don't say so myself.
"Girl, you looks good, won't you back that azz up
You'se a fine motherfucker, won't you back that azz up
Call me Big Daddy when you back that azz up
Hoe, who is you playin wit? Back that azz up"….
"Now now now now now
After you back it up, then stop
Then wha-wha-what, drop drop it like it's hot
Now after you back it up, then stop
Now, wha-wha-wha-what drop it like it's hot
Now drop it like it's hot, drop drop it like it's hot
C-M-B make you drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot, drop drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot, drop drop it like it's hot"

10. Killing Me Softly by The Fugees
Let it be known that Lauryn Hill (who in her own right is an AMAZING vocalist) absolutely beasts this song. NEGL, I like this version so much more than the original by Roberta Flack.

11. Follow You Down by The Gin Blossoms
The token theme song in every romantic comedy of the late 90s. At least I feel like it was in every romantic comedy of the late 90s.
Honorable Mention: Found Out About You by The Gin Blossoms

12. My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
Jack and Rose FOREVER. FOREVER.

13. I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly
Amongst the many things Space Jam taught me, I Believe I Can Fly is probably the number one thing I took with me. Holy OMG every time I hear this song I just think "STUNNINGNGNGNGNGNNNGGGGGGGSLKJFDL:JSLFJS" and "WHAT A WASTE OF TALENT!!!!!" But damn, I almost can't hate R. Kelly because this song is genius.
Best part of this song: That long note he holds for like a damn year. Trying to hold the note with him. Being able to hold the note without taking a breath. Feeling like you could get signed to a record company. Eternal Bliss ensues.
Honorable Mention: Bump N' Grind (Mainly the epic first thirty seconds of the song)

14. No Scrubs by TLC
My fondest memories of this song are of the music video. ESPECIALLY Left Eye's rap. When I learned that rap, I was probably the proudest child on the playground. RIP Left Eye.


BOSS MUSIC VID IF I'VE EVER SEEN ONE.

15. Don't Speak by No Doubt
One of the funnest songs to belt out at the top of your lungs.
16. LITHIUM by Nirvana (yes. I went there)
While Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good song, and is generally number one and other (read: ALL) 90s music lists, it is very overrated. I myself and much more fond of Lithium.
Honorable Mention: Come as You Are by Nirvana

17. Make Yourself by Incubus
Brandonnnnnnn oh Brandon. How much do I love thee? So much my love wouldn't even fill the constantly expanding universe.
HONORABLE MENTION: The WHOLE Make Yourself album.

18. Circle of Life from The Lion King
It made Africa mainstream. JK. But how fun is it to try and figure out what the hell is being said in this song.

19. If Your Girl Only Knew by Aaliyah

20. Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera
The first time I heard this song all I could think was STUNNNNNINGGGGG. To this day it is the best Christina song IMO. I mean her sappy new stuff is OKAY, but hoe bubble gum pop Christina was definitely my favorite. SUCH A SUGGESTIVE SONG! "You gotta rub me the right way baby."

21. One of Us by Joan Osborne

22. MMMBOP by Hanson
CLICHÉ, I know. But, oh the joy of being a tween/teen in the 90s. With groups like N'Sync, Backstreet and Hanson there were enough pubescent boys for everyone to share.
Honorable Mention: ALL THE OTHER BOY BANDS. N'Sync and Backstreet Boys mainly. And all of their songs. ESPECIALLY: Everybody and I Want it That Way by Backstreet Boys, and Tearin' up My Heart and I Want You Back by Justin Timberlake and his lackeys.

23. Be My Lover by La Bouche
Won't be your lover, but I'm Gonna Be Blasting Your Song On My Radio. LA DA DADA DE DADA DADA. ICONIC.

24. Beautiful Disaster by 311
God bless the bassist of this band.

25. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows
The ongoing life question: Who exactly IS Mr. Jones?

26. Give It To You by Jordan Knight
I just loved this song in my tween days. My grandmother bought me the single for Christmas. I feel so dirty now that I listen to how sexy and offensive the lyrics are. And I can't believe she bought it for me. Awesome song no less.


I swear this video was cutting edge at the time. SO EDGY.

27. Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas
The BEST Disney animated movie song. But I'm still VERYYYYY BITTER about how John Smith and Pocahontas never ended up together. It makes me hate Disney a little bit for creating my perfect fantasy romantic world and SHATTERING IT WITH REALITY IN THE AWFUL SEQUEL.

28. Lovefool by The Cardigans
Love me love me, say that you love me!

29. Will You Be There by Michael Jackson
BRILLANT MJ before his rise to shame. This song was definitely a factor in my love of Free Willy.

30. Closer by Nine Inch Nails
With the unforgettable "I wanna fuck you like an animal" line.

31. Are You That Somebody by Aaliyah
Was I the only nerd or did everyone else have a personal mission to learn the dance in this music video. I was DETERMINED. And I never did FYI.

32. Wash Away Those Years by Creed
A lot of people don't like Creed but I really do enjoy them. Scott Stapp really has a nice voice and the instruments compliment him so well. But this song is especially beautiful. I think I'm just a sucker for the soothing intro. And how fun it is to sing along. Jeez the guitar in this song is gorgeous sounding.

33. Creep by Radiohead

34. Date Rape by Sublime
Little back story: The first time I heard this song was in my art class. Some guy brought his guitar to class and was playing and singing an acoustic version of this song. And I absolutely adored it. I mean the lyrics in this song are ACE. And while it may be a touchy subject, it's not at all an offensive song. I mean it's so realistic and just…narration-lyrical genius. And the acoustic version I heard was slightly better than the original, NGL.
Honorable Mention: What I Got and Santeria by Sublime.

35. Run Around - Blues Traveler

36. Change the World by Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton needs more appreciation by people who were kids in the 90s. My parents listened to him on the REG, and honestly I wasn't having it back then. But I adore him now.

37. Jump Around by House of Pain

38. Headlight by The Wallflowers

39. Everlong by The Foo Fighters
Amazing song. Dave Grohl is an amazing musician and he is so underrated. People always rant and rave about Kurt Cobain but OMG……….I think Dave Grohl is better. I mean the guy went from being drummer in Nirvana to super star guitarist/vocalist/song writer of the Foo Fighters. HE HAS MAD TALENT!!! I went there…At any rate this song is beautiful. And playing it on the guitar is a fun time.

40. Roxanne by The Police
Okay so my favorite part about this song is definitely the lyrics and subject matter. I mean writing about a LEGIT prostitute. It's gutsy and I LOVE IT. I'm also quite fond of the many cover versions of this song. The original is okay, but the covers are awesome as well.

41. Crush by Jennifer Paige

42. Whoomp There It Is by Tag Team

43. No Diggity by Blackstreet
Sick beatz. Love this song.

44. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
Remember his crazy hair?
I think I know where Chris got his inspiration.

45. Sex Kills by Joni Mitchell
The title of this song still makes me cackle like an immature asshole. Anyway, it's a political song about society and it'd deep and I love it. Really, do listen to the lyrics.

46. Why Don't You Get A Job? - The Offspring
GET A JOB GET A JOB. Love those 90s unemployed scrubs.

47. Man! I Feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain
I don't usually like country, but Shania has some good material. Can't lie.

48. Macarena by Los Del Rio

49. Barbie Girl by Aqua
I put this song for its pure epicness. I'm not especially fond of the music or vocals or anything but the lyrics make me want to die (in a good way). A song about Barbie and Ken will forever have a place in my 90s child heart. I'm sad there was no love for Chelsea or Teresa though.

50. The Pokemon Theme Song by Jason Paige
And so Japan takes over American television. This is actually one of my favorite TV themes. I know you know the lyrics as well as I do. It's iconic!

51. My Boo by Ghost Town DJs
I forgot about this one and had to add it. LOVE THIS SONG.


GHP'S TOP 5(1) 90S SONG ULTIMATE PLAYLIST:






Okay this was hard as F. I don't ever want to do this again!!!! Everytime I had to eliminate a song from the list I felt sincerely bad for it and the anxiety is too much for me.

1 comment:

  1. great post. true to the core. I miss the 90s now. love the blog

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips